APPENDIX 1 INDIVIDUAL WORKBOOK (TUTORIAL CONTRIBUTION)
Dates/submission Week 9
Types Individual tutorial contribution/workbook
Graduate Capabilities practiced Individual research
Type of research Secondary data only: so-called desk research.
Marks 5% of the total marks for this subject
Assignment details and Additional support materials
APPENDIX 2 GROUP REPORT: POSTCODE ASSIGNMENT - Key information
Dates/submission Week 6
- Via LMS (please keep a copy of your assignment and save the LMS receipt confirming the submission of your assignment)
Types Group assignment: Report writing: Describing a neighbourhood/suburb.
Max 5 students per team from the same tutorial group
Graduate Capabilities practiced Writing Business Reports
Enquiry/ research skills
Critical thinking/analytisis skills
Team work skills
Type of research Secondary data only: so-called desk research. 1000 word limit per student
Marks 10% of the total marks for this subject
Important notes - ONLY Microsoft Office document types are accepted
- Font size not smaller than Times New Roman 12
- You MUST keep a duplicate copy of your assignment
Assignment in detail
Background (hypothetical scenario):
The ALPHA PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT GROUP is interested in investing a significant amount of money into building property within Australia. The company has already developed a variety of properties across Australia, including both residential and commercial buildings. But what type of property should they invest in developing and in which approximate location?
1. You will be randomly allocated a post code area from Australia (speak to your tutor)
2. Use Marketing Theory (from your textbook or e-journals) to identify the
relevant criteria to use when describing the people living in this post code
area. Use search terms like, ‘demographics’ and ‘geodemographics’. Include a brief
summary / justification of which variables you will be using in your report (i.e.
what did the theory say? What are the key definitions? Should you focus on
any specific variables? Etc) Basically the Marketing Theory you are addressing is the
theory on segmentation and targeting. Basically the process you will be following is: Describe the population in the postcode area. What segments of consumers / people live in your postcode? How are their housing and related needs served? What types of dwellings and services like shopping centres / transport exist in the postcode? Is there a particular segment that Alpha can target? What would you recommend?
3. Use Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to find the characteristics of the population in this area. Paste the main url for this assignment into the web browser http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/census+data and then enter your assigned postcode in the Quick Stats request box Besides the population, you may also wish to find a range of other data including the types of dwellings and sales prices of dwellings and any other information relevant to your assignment. Please utilise and reproduce in your assignment tables, graphs and figures. Each set of data / table should be followed by a short interpretation of the information / a summary of the key points.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is a COMPULSORY data source for you to use. Other data sources can be used to complement your findings.
4. Compare the population in your post code area to the ‘average Australia’.
Please utilise tables, graphs and figures when possible followed by a short
summary of the key points.
“Table 1. The age distribution for XXXX and the Average Australia
Age categories XXXX postcode area ‘Average Australia’
65 years and over
Source: Based on 2006 Census QuickStats: xxxxxx”
5. Use Google Maps to learn more about this postcode area; e.g. Photos, Real
Estate, Webcams, Google Street View
6. Draw a map of this area and identify key roads/tram/train etc lines, places of
interest (e.g. shopping complex, museum etc). To keep file size manageable for LMS submission consider using .pdf file format for the map
7. Recommend to the ALPHA PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT GROUP what
type of property (if any) could be a profitable investment for them and is
worthy of further investigation.
Guidelines for Your Written Group Report
each report should include the following sections:
Introduction - introduce the content of your report, for example what are the sections of your report, name the key marketing theories utilised in your report, is this topic particularly relevant today (can you cite any similar examples from recent news?) And finally, in which order are all the above elements organised in your report.
Theory- name the relevant marketing theory for your Topic (e.g. definition, situations where this theory applies and any limitations that should be acknowledged it utilising this theory: would a graph add value to your argument?).
Justify why your select theories apply in this situation.
Has this theory changed/been adjusted in recent years? E.g. the theory regarding ‘distribution’ was revised once downloading computer software/music became a feasible option to posting CD/DVD versions of digital products.
Explanation- state the key issues of this subject/topic as understood by you, where does this subject/topic ‘fit in with the big picture’ (e.g. is this common behaviour by ALL consumers or relevant to a small minority segment like ‘grand parents’ only; are there specific circumstances/environmental variables that can control the frequency of these key issues?).
Application – matching the correct Marketing theory to the situation(s), state any noteworthy limitations or specialist circumstances linked to this theory e.g. ‘only applies to group decision making’. Use Academic papers to find this information (eJournals); Minimum of 10 academic references from e-Journals/text books must be included/team
Analysis- How frequent is this trend (your topic/subject)? How often does the described circumstance to take place?
What is the magnitude/cost/impact from the described situation should this situation take place (e.g. positive or negative; this trend impact the majority of companies/consumers vs. only minority groups are likely to experience this trend)? Can marketing theory be used to better understand the case study situation? Can you cite recent/relevant examples?
Conclusions and recommendations- Can we use marketing theory to reduce the negative impact of the given situation or maximise the positive outcomes? How?
If the case study situation has positive outcomes, can Marketers encourage the situation to take place more frequently? How? Etc.
References - ALL data sources used must be acknowledged. Minimum of 10 academic references from e-Journals/text books must be included/team
Does your assignment include:
• Front page with full name and Student ID number
• Executive summary
• Table of Contents (TOC)
• Main report body with SUBHEADINGS
• Appendices (appendices must be referred to in actual text, i.e. why have you included appendices?)
• LMS submission saved as Microsoft WORD file; Filename is Authors’ surnames e.g.
• The assignment is typed, Font size Times New Roman 12 or similar
• Each table/figure/chart/picture etc has a name, number and sources included. Key contents are discussed in text, i.e. do not leave it to the reader to interpret your tables, figures or illustrations
• The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is a COMPULSORY data source for this assignment, even if you only use if for little data
• Other data sources are OPTIONAL
• Access comments about the ABS statement on the relationship of the census data to postcodes here http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2914.0Main+Features262002006